Back to Main Page  |  Muzzy Mansion History   

Quick Links:
Thumbnail History of Spokane
Muzzy Genealogy 1570-1900's
Muzzy Homestead Application & Homestead Patent 1880-1887
Spokane Falls Illustrated 1889
Great Spokane Fire 1889
Old Spokane Maps 1889-1890
Muzzy Lawsuits 1891-1905
Monroe Street Bridge Buffalo Skulls Article 1971
Muzzy Mansion Owners 1880-Present
Media Articles 2007-2009
Spokane Register of Historic Places Nomination: Muzzy-Shine House Aug 2009
The Village of Spokane Falls 
A struggling hamlet of a hundred people

Three days before downtown Spokane Falls burned to the ground in the Great Spokane Fire of 1889 - Spokane Falls Illustrated went to press under the auspices of Spokane's Board of Trade, intended to serve as a compendium of information on Spokane Falls.

Spokane's then Mayor, Fred Furth, sets the stage for Spokane Falls at the time in his forward in the publication.

"In 1877 the Nez Perces War broke out, and those who had erected rude houses in the then wilderness were forced to flee for their lives before the cyclonic wrath of the bloodthirsty savages. A handful of pioneers at the Falls were obliged to fortify themselves on a big island in the centre of the stream. After a little more than a year, the storm of war abated, and the veil of tranquility was permitted to hang over the little settlement afterward."

-- Spokane Falls Mayor Fred Furth

It was in this setting, in 1880, on the heels of the Nez Perces War, before Spokane was a City, and Washington was a State, that Hiram Newton Muzzy moved his family from Buffalo, New York, to Spokane Falls, described by Furth in 1879 as "...a struggling hamlet of a hundred people" in the wild Washington Territory. Staking claim on 160 acres of land just north of the Spokane River, Muzzy filed a homestead application, planted and cultivated an orchard of 1,500 apple trees, worked with the emerging lumber mill at Spokane Falls, and built his home.

The following was researched by Linda Yeomans, Historian and Principal of Historic Preservation Planning, and Mike Schultz and compiled by Linda Yeomans, as part of the Muzzy-Shine House (Muzzy Mansion) Nomination to the Spokane City/County Register of Historic Places, August 14, 2009. The nomination was unanimously approved by the Spokane City/County Landmarks Commission on September 16, 2009 under two categories: for serving as a "high style" example of Queen Anne architecture with exceptional original historical detail - and for its association with significant events in Spokane's history. Spokane City Council unanimously approved the nomination for listing on Spokane's Historic Register on September 28, 2009.

In 1880, the city of Spokane was called Spokane Falls or just the “Falls,” and had accumulated enough people to warrant a population of 350. The town was built around a series of powerful waterfalls that interrupted the flow of the Spokane River, and boasted a few sawmills, flour mills, and a little downtown core which was centered around Front (now Spokane Falls Boulevard) and Howard Street on the south side of the river. 

By 1881, Northern Pacific Railroad tracks were completed through Spokane, and a few years later, a maze of railroad lines began crowding into town.  Finally, Spokane was linked to markets and cities across the country and throughout the United States, and became a bustling railroad hub and important shipping center for lumber, agriculture, and mining products. 

Spokane continued to grow as a mixture of pioneer settlers, farmers, miners, lumberjacks, millworkers, doctors, dentists, merchants, grocers, saloonkeepers as well as bankers, businessmen, lawyers, investors, entrepreneurs and others began to settle in the town.  One of these pioneer farmers was Hiram N. Muzzy who, in 1880, homesteaded 160 acres north of the Spokane River.  In 1888, Muzzy platted his homestead, called it Muzzy’s Addition, and in 1889, he built his mansion.


Muzzy Stakes His Claim 
from Apple Orchard to Real Estate Tycoon  1880 - 1895

The Muzzy family, circa 1860

Hiram & Rebecca Muzzy

Hiram Newton Muzzy was born in 1824 in Fowler, Ohio and married Rebecca Ann Ames.  They had five children and moved to Spokane in November 1880 where Hiram applied for a 160-acre homestead claim.  The claim was located north of downtown Spokane in the southeast quarter of Section 12 in Township 25 North, Range 42 East.  When the Muzzy family homesteaded the claim, the area was described by Muzzy as undeveloped “prairie farming land” with no minerals and “no timber.” The area was sparsely populated and Muzzy’s nearest neighbors were just a handful of landowners and their families who lived within a mile or two of Muzzy’s property. These men and their families included Colonel David P. Jenkins, I. S. Kaufman, Amos Ragsdale, and Chester D. Ide, all prominent citizens in Spokane.

After arriving in Spokane in 1880, Muzzy and his family immediately built a small temporary frame cabin, a frame barn (16 feet by 24 feet), a cistern with an outhouse, and about two miles of wood fence to contain chickens, cows, horses, and stock.  Listed in various city directories as a farmer, gardener, and fruit grower, Muzzy cultivated 12 acres of soil on which he grew “all kinds of vegetables” and 1,500 fruit trees; the remaining acreage was left in pasture. Around 1882-1884, Muzzy replaced the small cabin with a large, two-story frame house which measured 24 feet wide and 26 feet deep and had an estimated net worth of $2,000. As depicted on an 1890 aerial perspective map of Spokane, the two-story house had a rectangular footprint, a hip roof, and a full-width covered front porch.  It faced east onto what is now Cedar Street and was surrounded by fruit trees which Muzzy had planted.  A windmill was located behind the house, marking the location of a fresh-water well.  Hiram & Rebecca Muzzy and their five children lived in the house which Muzzy said contained “six beds, two stoves, carpets, pictures, kitchen furniture, almost everything for housekeeping.” Muzzy worked hard on his property to prove his homestead claim, and in 1887 he applied for a United States Patent which would grant him full ownership of the property.  His application was approved and in 1888 he received the much hoped-for patent.  It was signed by United States President Grover Cleveland, and conveyed all 160 acres to Hiram Muzzy.

Above: 1889 map of Spokane Falls. Muzzy's Addition is bordered in red.

Below: Close-up of Muzzy's Addition from the map above. Muzzy began platting out his 160-acre homestead into what would end up encompassing over 500 city lots. The Muzzy Mansion is located at the red * below.

As soon as Muzzy had his patent, he platted nearly all of his homestead acreage for residential development, called the plat Muzzy’s Addition, and began selling off the addition’s 500-plus lots, which were each conveyed with a warranty deed.  Muzzy’s Addition was bounded by Montgomery Street to the north, Mission Avenue to the south, Belt Street to the west, and Cedar Street to the east, and was sited just north of the Spokane County Courthouse.  Architects, builders, real estate developers, and would-be homeowners purchased Muzzy’s lots and improved them with the erection of single-family homes which were all built during the late 1890s and early 1900s.  After Muzzy’s wife, Rebecca Muzzy, died in 1886, Muzzy remarried in 1887, and in 1889, built his “dream home,” a tall rambling 2.5-story brick and granite house of mansion-size proportions.  The house was built behind and west of the two-story frame house on Cedar Street, and was erected on level ground at the northwest corner of Mission Avenue and Walnut Street.  It was designed as a high-style example of the Queen Anne tradition, faced south at 1506 West Mission Avenue, and because of its magnanimous size and height, expensive brick and granite cladding, and decorative features, was a north Spokane focal point, the most architecturally prominent house in Muzzy’s Addition, the “king’s castle.”

Above: Cropped portion of a 1890 panoramic view of Spokane Falls. Muzzy's Addition is bordered in red. Red item 1 in the lower right portion of Muzzy's Addition is Muzzy's second home and windmill built on his homestead around 1883. Red item 2 to the left of item 1 is the Muzzy Mansion built on the homestead in1889. Both homes are surrounded by what remains of Muzzy's apple orchard.

Just four years after the house was built, a severe economic depression in 1893 spread across the country, causing hundreds of thousands of bank and business closures, property foreclosures, and many fortune reversals.  It is not known what happened to Hiram Muzzy but in 1895 he left his large brick Queen Anne-style house and moved into a small frame home one block east at 1404 W. Mission.  Less than a year later in 1896, he moved to the southwest corner of East Third Avenue and Haven Street in what was then the Spokane Valley, and was listed in city directories as a “gardener and fruit grower.”  In 1900, Hiram Muzzy married again (third marriage), and by 1904 had moved to Portland, Oregon where he died in 1908 at the age of 83. 


The Shines Take Residency 
Politics and Prominence  1903 - 1954

Patrick C Shine, circa 1905

Patrick C. Shine & Mary Gomm Shine

In 1903 Patrick C. Shine and his wife, Mary Gomm Shine, purchased the house and property from Charles B. Hole for $5,000.  A prominent Spokane attorney and well-known politician, Patrick Shine and his family lived in the house for more than 50 years from 1903 to Patrick’s death in 1934 and Mary’s death in 1954. 

Patrick C. Shine was born to a large family in Limerick County, Ireland in 1863.  He received his education from the National School of Ireland followed by study at the Civil Institute and the Literary Institute of Dublin.  In 1885, Shine left his homeland and joined his family in America where he studied pre-law and jurisprudence in Missouri.  While studying, he held full-time jobs at different times with the Union Pacific Railroad and as Jackson County Deputy Collector for Jackson County, Missouri.  He then went to Oregon where he was employed by the Oregon Short Line and the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company as purser and cashier.  In 1894, Shine moved to Spokane where he worked for the Union Depot Company, became a member of the American Railway Union, and “was promptly elected its secretary and treasurer.”  As told by northwest historian, N. W. Durham, “this affiliation changed his course completely and forced him into politics” and the practice of law.

From 1899 through the early 1900s, Patrick Shine helped found and was affiliated with several legal firms in Spokane, including Armour Cool & Shine, Armour & Shine, and Shine & Winfree, lawyers.  He had offices in the Peyton Building and later, the Fernwell Building and the Symons Block.  In 1903 Shine was appointed lawyer/commissioner/consular agent for British Columbia, Canada, and later to the additional Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan, holding these positions continually for more than two decades.  A politician at heart, Patrick Shine was active in political affairs during the 1920s and 1930s in the Spokane region, attending county and state democratic conventions, running for various offices, and serving elected terms at different times as a Washington State Democratic Representative, chairman of the Washington State Democratic Convention, and as state delegate to the National Democratic Convention in Houston in 1928.  Patrick Shine’s greatest ambition, however, was to “minister to the Irish Free State,” a position for which he was recommended twice by United States Senator Clarence C. Dill but never filled, the last recommendation coming just before Shine’s death in 1934.

Patrick Shine’s obituary praised him as a “veteran in politics…a prominent attorney and democratic politician...[who] had a delightful even temperament, rarely showed any irritation or excitement, and therefore was frequently called upon to be chairman of meetings” and various organizations throughout the Spokane region. Northwest historian N. W. Durham described Shine as “popular” with “social qualities, ready wit, and attractive personality” that helped make him an enterprising and “successful…lawyer,” one who had a “remarkably successful career.” Patrick Shine married Mary Louise Gomm, a native of Savannah, GA, in 1904, and helped raise their two children, Patrick Jr. and Mairee Shine.  Patrick Shine was a member of the Spokane Club, the Spokane Amateur Athletic Club, and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and parish.

Above: Photo of the Muzzy Mansion circa 1912, also known then as the Shine House. While residing in the home, the Shines built a large brick 2-bay carriage house behind the mansion and the large octagon glass solarium visible to the right in the photo above. The solarium was gone by the 1940's. The house is otherwise the same today.

During their tenure at the house, the Shines, in 1909, built a single-story hexagonal solarium which they attached to the rear northeast corner of the house.  Between 1910 and 1924, they built a Craftsman-style brick masonry garage in the far northwest corner of their property, and in 1911, they purchased the east ten feet of Lot 3 which adjoined their property to the west.  This newly acquired strip of land was used as a driveway which ran from Mission Avenue north along the west boundary of the property to the northwest-corner brick masonry garage.  In the 1920s-1940s, the Shines remodeled the second floor of the house to accommodate two one-bedroom apartments, both with private kitchenettes.  After Mary Shine’s death in 1954, son Patrick Shine Jr. sold the north 47 feet of Lots 1 and 2 and the north 47 feet of the east ten feet of Lot 3 as a separate parcel to Emil & Muriel Lindblad for $2,000.  The same day, he also sold the house and property to the Lindblads for $8,000. 


Subsequent Owners 
Decline and Rebirth  1955 - Present

Subsequent Owners

During the next 50 years, the house was owned by various people at different times.  Adding to the two upstairs apartments, the house was modified again through the 1950s to accommodate up to five apartments with two on the second floor, two on the first floor, and one in the basement.  During World War II, the northeast upstairs apartment was leased by Ruth Shanetaller whose husband was stationed overseas in the Army, and after her tenure, subsequent servicemen, servicewomen and other people rented at different times the apartments through the post-war years and up into the 2000s.  A city-wide trend in Spokane that began in the 1920s-1930s gained in popularity as multi-family apartments were created from remodeled interiors in larger, older homes throughout the city.  By the 1980s, at least three other large homes in the neighborhood had been remodeled as apartment houses (1420, 1500, and 1518 W. Mission). Following its purchase in 2007 by Mike Schultz and Steven Sanford, restoration commenced and continues today, carefully reverting the house back to its original floor plan and sense of historic grandeur. In a phased-in process, the house began operating as a Bed & Breakfast in October 2009 following its appointment to the Spokane Register of Historic Places. The house was listed on the Washington State Historic Register and National Historic Register as well in 2010 as the Muzzy-Shine House. In 2011 Schultz and Sanford sold the house to Keith and Kendra Kelley who continue the committed stewardship and historic preservation of the home as their single-family residence.  

January 2007
Our first night

"The temperature outside plummeted below zero that first January night in the house. The chill permeated inside as we tore down a wall in a closet where we believed a doorway was entombed by sheetrock decades earlier when the house was converted to apartments. It took little time for opened walls to reveal a door of solid stature, 130 years old, eight feet tall, adorned with ornate brass hinges and fixtures. Carefully prying off a wall stud nailed to its face, we opened the door, walking back in time, and into an odyssey of discovery throughout the house and across the pages of its history. That night our journey began."

-- Mike Schultz & Steven Sanford